1. Xcode – FREE for Mac!
iOS or the iPhone OS is a mobile operating system created and developed by Apple that is exclusively for its products – iPhone, iPad and iPod. SDK (Software Development Kit) is downloadable and is exclusively available for Mac computer users for free. Wikipedia says, “The SDK contains sets giving developers access to various functions and services of iOS devices, such as hardware and software attributes. It also contains an iPhone simulator to mimic the look and feel of the device on the computer while developing.” Thus, if combined with Xcode, developers can create iOS apps with languages appropriate for Apple devices. Apple being one of the top mobile brand, comes with developers who are targeting to create apps for its iOS.
If you are an iOS app developer, beginner or pro, you are very lucky, because, now, there are heaps of tutorial videos with guidelines and step-by-step procedure in the internet that you can watch and learn from before starting to develop an app for iOS. You can also search the web for any unfamiliar terms or technical issues that you may encounter while working in progress.
There are important things you must posses in order to develop an app. Here are some important tips listed by appcoda.com:
1. Mac – this will be a no brainer, you should have computer to be able to work with your app development and programming. The Mac should have a based processor of ac OS X version 10.8 or later for you to be able to develop an app and be able to run the app development tools flawlessly.
2. Registered App Developer Account – this is for free. This will give you access to downloading a software (which will be discussed later) that is needed for developing apps and other technical resources. All you need to do is go to the ‘Register and Apple App’ on the Apple website, register with your Apple ID, fill up the needed information and submit.
3. Xcode – “is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for macOS containing a suite of software development tools developed by Apple for developing software for macOS, iOS, watchOS, and tvOS” as defined bu Wikipedia. This is totally for free. It is made available to any registered App Developer and can be downloaded in the Mac App Store or from the Apple website without any fee. Xcode is basically, everything an iOS app developer needs to ace the app development and programming, since it comes with the latest version of iOS SDK (Software Development Kit), a built-in source code editor, Graphic User Interface (GUI) Editor, debugging tools and simulator.
4. Have enrolled to iOS developer program – Apple has 4 words for this program – From Code to Customer. This is a fee-based subscription that has an annual fee of $99. Is is a powerful software since Apple has already combined Mac OS and iOS platform. So, it is, indeed, a good investment. Membership includes access to beta OS releases, advanced app capabilities, and tools needed to develop, test, and distribute apps.
If you have put a check in all of them, then you are good to go. You may start thinking of an app that could interest the public. And that’s a different story.
Xcode is free for all developers that wanting to have develop apps for iOS and is also very helpful to maintain a good quality app. Apple only wants the best for their users that is why they developed this kind of software and along with all the functions and features that it possess. It is also regularly updated and fixed for any errors, bugs and to keep up with new releases (iPhones).
- What You Need to Begin iOS Programming – https://www.appcoda.com/what-you-need-to-begin-ios-programming/
- Xcode – https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcode
- iOS – https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS
- iOS Developer Program – https://developer.apple.com/programs/
- iOS Developer Program – https://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/definition/iOS-Developer-Program
- Choosing a Membership – https://developer.apple.com/support/compare-memberships/